Explore issues facing the United States, with an emphasis on progressive solutions.

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Listening tours, part 2

I go to a hairdresser who does a great job with my hair.  Plus, she is kind,  loves her family,  is crazy about her son, and  is generous.  I am pretty sure that she voted for Trump - given her recent comments about things like Obamacare.

Recently I was thinking that maybe I should find someone else to do my hair.  Especially if she starts talking about how she thinks Trump is being treated unfairly.  Or she starts dissing Obama.

Then I thought, maybe I should listen to her.  Not so that I would change my mind, but so that I would expand my mind.  Those of us who did not vote for Trump need to listen to those who did.  I know a lot of people won't agree with me here.  (I am closely related to them!)

Lots of people who voted for Obama, sometimes twice, either did not vote in 2016, or did not vote for Hillary Clinton.  Perhaps it is because of fake news.  Perhaps it is because Russia had a huge impact on the election.

All of the above are possible.  I would guess, though, that there are other reasons, and it would be helpful to just listen; gather intelligence.

Next week, when I get my hair done, I am going to keep my mouth shut - if something comes up about the election or the current administration - I am not going to give my opinion.  I am going to be curious and welcoming of my hairdresser's comments.  I truly believe that listening, and responding appropriately, will help the Democrats re-take the House in 2018.


No comments:

Post a Comment