Explore issues facing the United States, with an emphasis on progressive solutions.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

My letter to Tom Perez






I am sending a letter to Tom Perez, the Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, and I am attaching it below:


June 22, 2017

Tom Perez
Chairman
Democratic National Committee
430 South Capital St. Southwest
Washington, DC 20003



Dear Chairman Perez:

I am a voter who is very concerned about the state of the Democratic party.  I believe that if the party continues on its current path, Democrats will not make strong electoral gains in 2018.

The Democratic party does not have a strong message.  Looking at the DNC website (as I have been doing since mid January), I am struck by the lack of a message beyond RESIST and DONATE.    Looking further into the website, I went to a section that included the 2016 party platform.  There I found the un-inspiring “Stronger together”.  What exactly does that mean?  Did that move anybody to vote for Hillary in November?  Why is that the message now?

Before the inauguration the Senate moved to start repealing the ACA.  I looked at the vote count, and said to myself “all we needed were two more Democratic senators and this wouldn’t have happened.”  I immediately went to the DNC website to see how I could help.  

What I found was sickening.  The website had not been updated since before the election.

I then decided to start a blog, which I have been posting to weekly since mid-January (you can find it at thinkandparticipate.blogspot.com.  

As part of my blog, I have been talking, and listening to people - most of them Trump supporters.  I have asked them if they think that the country is headed in the right direction.  The resounding answer is “NO”.    Then, almost all of them volunteer that things are not fair in the country (they are usually referring to illegal immigration.)  

It seems to me that the Democrats could use fairness in a strong, compelling message.  

Resist may work with the base; I don’t think it will work with people who voted for Trump in 2016 (and who may very well have voted for Obama in 2012).

Sincerely,



Joan Savitt, 2 Woodlawn Ave., Wellesley, MA

*******************************************************************

I am not especially hopeful that I will get a response, but I am going to continue to write to him, and try to contact others in the Democratic Party, who might be interested in what I have to say.


I CHANGED THE LETTER - THE ABOVE LETTER HAS THE WRONG ADDRESS - IT SHOULD BE: 430 S. CAPITAL ST. SOUTHEAST, NOT  SOUTHWEST.

No comments:

Post a Comment